JJ near the bubble

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-13 of 13 total posts
25021 Nibs: 1,451
Posted on Jan 25th 2007  -  Subject: JJ near the bubble
Any $5 tourney you care to be sat at, short stacked enough to know that any hand you play is going to put you all in by the river (if it ever gets that far!) and you're dealt JJ in mid position, 10 handed, at the table. Top 20 get paid, 22 players left. UTG calls, UTG+1 raises 3BB, with a deep stack sat in front of him, folds round to you. Whats your play and why? JJ is my nemesis, and this seems to happen an awful lot. I get dealt reasonably good starting hands around the bubble, and if i make the money, i don't seem to get deep enough into it, and as often as not, i go out of the tourney here. Do i need a little more resolve, and just fold JJ, and wimp into the money, (which does tend to happen more regularly than i would like), or do I throw caution to the wind,and jam here, (which also happens a lot and i go bust far more often than I would like). Frustrating game at times
R1ckT
3302 Nibs: 776
Posted on Jan 26th 2007
Unless raiser is tight like a duck ass if your M is 10 and under here you have to push!!!! He may call you with 2 over cards wich would be a coin flip or he might also have TT 99 88... or AJ!!! + you may draw a loose call from play to act with a lower PP as well! If you play to win and not to make the $$$ you have to push here! Of course raiser will call you, but its probably what you want! only 3 hands dominate you... against anything else you are at least slightly favorite! I cant see you flat call here, to many chances to be chase by a continuous bet on a flop with over cards, I cant see you fold neither for obvious reasons, and any raise will commit you to the pot any way... so... Put the whole Bondayone in!!!!! KJ
Posted on Jan 26th 2007
My thoughts exactly, and thanks for the reply, but its bit me on the arse so many times, you start to question if you're doing the right thing. Flat calling isn't an option, in my book, but getting drawn out on just sucks big time by people playing Ace-rag like its the best hand in the world, full stop, the end, Amen!!! Sorry, rant over, just an observation
R1ckT
63599 Nibs: 4,417
Posted on Jan 27th 2007
Good ole KJ always got some useful info. I agree that you should push and that a flat call is virtually pointless. Not a fan of folding into the money, decent shot at a double up, so I say take it, then again it depends on your table.
live free love life and play poker
61760 Nibs: 4,136
Posted on Jan 27th 2007
went out on JJ in the leaderboard freeroll a couple of weeks ago......21st place.....20 got paid......but I think I played that hand completly wrong.......shortstacked and afraid to go out I just called BB and BB just checked so there was only 2 in the pot......BB hand K-4 or something and off course there was a king on the river......went allin on the river and got called and lost.....played to cowardly....should have gone allin preflop and I think I would have won the blinds......or fold them right away.....just calling the BB was the worst play to make on that hand.....dont like JJ at all....
72653 Nibs: 808
Posted on Jan 28th 2007
There is only two ways to play that hand in that moment, fold or all in.
74744 Nibs: 356
Posted on Jan 28th 2007  -  Subject: Play the hand.
I would personally play the hand, thats of course if you don't have some sort of read on the player raising that he only raises with QQ or better. If you fold the hand you might have a better shot of making the money, but then again it might be long until your next hand worth playing so you'll only get the worst possible price. Lets say you buy in for 5$ to a tourney, I think its better to gamble on the bubble and maybe get a shot at the final table and make a lot of money instead of winning like.. 6-10$ ?
martin
74744 Nibs: 356
Posted on Jan 28th 2007  -  Subject: Play the hand.
I would personally play the hand, thats of course if you don't have some sort of read on the player raising that he only raises with QQ or better. If you fold the hand you might have a better shot of making the money, but then again it might be long until your next hand worth playing so you'll only get the worst possible price. Lets say you buy in for 5$ to a tourney, I think its better to gamble on the bubble and maybe get a shot at the final table and make a lot of money instead of winning like.. 6-10$ ?
martin
52366 Nibs: 2,407
Posted on Jan 28th 2007
The thing is, getting 20th is probably not gonna make you a fortune, while doubling up here may increase your chances very much to get paid bigtime. there is only one way to play this (unless your opponent is tight as can be) and thats to use those magical words: "DEALER, I'M ALL'IN!"
_________________________________ Fortune favors the bold!
6805 Nibs: 4,552
Posted on Jan 30th 2007
A lot depends on your knowledge of the caller and the raiser and those to act behind you. I appreciate the views that say you should go all in but you have a caller and a raiser in front of you. I would prefer to wait to be first in the pot. After all, what you want is to pick up the blinds uncontested.
3302 Nibs: 776
Posted on Jan 30th 2007
A lot depends on your knowledge of the caller and the raiser and those to act behind you. I appreciate the views that say you should go all in but you have a caller and a raiser in front of you. I would prefer to wait to be first in the pot. After all, what you want is to pick up the blinds uncontested. Its the first time I disagree with you, but I definitely strongly do this time!!! Of course like you said if the raiser is tight like a duck ass, you might be in trouble... but even if he is he can be on AK or TT! I understand that this could end up in a multi way pot with a live Q K and A in your opponent hands but still there you have your price... The only situation I will fold my path to the money instead of trying to win it is in a satellite MTT. JJ is the 4th best hand and is probably upfront here... if its not... at least you made the move that could have led to the tournament's 1st place instead of the move to sneak in the money for less than twice the value of your buy-in! KJ
Posted on Jan 31st 2007
Thanks for the replies people, thought i was doing the right thing, but now and again your faith gets tested, thanks again.
R1ckT
52025 Nibs: 3,689
Posted on Jan 31st 2007
i dont think its possible to be 10 handed at a table with only 22 left, but with JJ id have went all in and hoped for the best if i got called.
* * * * * let others come after us,we welcome the chase.
Displaying #1-13 of 13 total posts

header

[close]