I never seem to do well in tornys?

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-15 of 19 total posts  1 2  Next Last
88777 Nibs: 536
Posted on Mar 5th 2008  -  Subject: I never seem to do well in tornys?
I play cash games and win around 75% of the time which means i profit greatly but MTTS i just cant win :( what do you think this is because of everyone? Maybe i play to tight ?
I AM HERE YOU ARE THERE! LETS PUT YOUR BANKROLLS ON IF YOU DARE! ! !
88435 Nibs: 894
Posted on Mar 5th 2008
The problem might be that you play too tight in MTTs, because they are different types, you have to play different than in cash games ;) It might be also that you play too many hands, i cant tell anymore cause i dont know how you play in cash games :P
I am what I am
88777 Nibs: 536
Posted on Mar 5th 2008
Thanks for the heads up, I am looking to build up on MTT's to get winning the big tornys with the massive prize pools, my bankroll is a nice size so i could start at nearly any level. But i started by playing freerolls when i first got into poker and ofcourse thats like playing for play money first hand everyones all in, then when i broke off into real money took me a while to be playing well as the freeroll play was in me but THANK GOD i dont have that anymore. What buy in level would you say is the MIN where players are wanting to win and not go out by pushing all in with crap $5? $10? Because i think if i start playing i dunno... $1 with 3000 players a good 750+ will be the sort of players who pre flop all in when ever they see a ace in there hand. What does everyone think?
I AM HERE YOU ARE THERE! LETS PUT YOUR BANKROLLS ON IF YOU DARE! ! !
82952 Nibs: 2,802
Posted on Mar 9th 2008
MTT are diferent than cash games ,try to play a little bite less tigth and wait for results .Read a good book that woked out just¬† fine for me . 
OK OK I FOLD!!!
6805 Nibs: 4,552
Posted on Mar 15th 2008  -  Subject: MTTs
It took me a long time to cash in MTTs and it is still hit and miss because of the hugh number of players in most MTTs  and the structures. You need to read some books (Harrington on Hold-em vols I - III) and practice. I think that the freerolls are good practice because people play like that in normal MTTs too - especially re-buys! They teach you patience!
42804 Nibs: 7,714
Posted on Mar 18th 2008
If you don't want the all in's 1st hand try a $10 freezeout. Rebuys no matter what the buy in are bad place to start as ppl just want to double up in chips as soon as possible.
Time To Play The Game
89407 Nibs: 110
Posted on Mar 18th 2008
There are a lot of reasons why success at cash games does not translate into success at MTT's.  Cash games don't have increasing blinds, so your strategy does not have to change at various different stages of the game.  Due to the revolving door of players coming and going from your table, your best hope for profit is to maintain your origional strategy and take advantage of low risk opportunities when they present themselves.  In MTT's you have to be aware of so many changing variables that you have to modify your strategy multiple times in play in order to remain successful.  The most important stage of an MTT is the middle stages of the tournament where the blinds begin to eat away at your stack.  You have to be more aggressive preflop if you have a smaller stack so that you can steal blinds and hopefully double up with a monster preflop hand.  If you have a big stack during the middle stages, you don't want to risk it with marginal hands, and it is best to remain tight/aggressive.  There are too many things to try and list here, but to answer your question I think that your lack of success in MTTs is that you are not modifying your strategy based on the different variables during different stages of the game.   
92334 Nibs: 1,035
Posted on Jun 3rd 2008
i have the same problem, dont do too well in big tourneys most of the time
77185 Nibs: 4,581
Posted on Jun 5th 2008  -  Subject: playing mtt.s
I must say i do well in tourneys,,,i find rebuys you have be patient in begging because theres alot donkeys who will go allin on garbage,,if i make to first break i,m normally in great postion to finish in the money,,the donkeys kinda tater off after the break,,don,t play marginal hands and be patient ,,,gl all
Moosie102
13455 Nibs: 2,244
Posted on Jun 5th 2008
It is hard to make money in the mtt's they have so many plrs and only like 10% get paid it takes time no matter how good you are.
ADAMRULZ
91349 Nibs: 1,500
Posted on Jun 10th 2008
if you play a tourney you sit at table ,you are winning on this table two times then they take you to an other table that you can never play with this poeple,you go once allin with aa you are as soon as possible out because the bluffer wins with 63 (straight) unbelievebal why dont you stay on the same table? no because you must out.
garfield133
77722 Nibs: 4,377
Posted on Jun 10th 2008
I prefer MTTs to Cash table you need a good strategy for the different Blind Levels but also SNGs helped me a lot for playing MTT
93306 Nibs: 1,332
Posted on Jun 25th 2008
yes i prefer MTT's and large sng's over cash tables they just ask for a different way of playing.
If luck shuts the door, you have to come in through the window.
80707 Nibs: 4,381
Posted on Aug 12th 2008
Ian, hard to say what level to buy in at but I'll suggest buying in at about 2 to 2.5 % of your BR upto a max of 5%.  Also sng's are a good way to get used to escalating blinds and how play changes.  
ciao for now
78466 Nibs: 1,307
Posted on Aug 17th 2008
i may be way out in left field but i don't think your strategy should change that much for mtt's unless there "turbo". cash or mtt, you have to protect what you have and try and get more chips. just play each hand the best you can, play good cards preflop, and for mtts quit looking at where you currently are or when the bubble hits. sometimes i think i am doing awesome and check position and i not even in top 100 yet, discouraging. mtt's  once they get going are alot easier to "steal" the blinds. personally i like cash better because there is never 5 sitouts at a table, full tables much better poker. mtts also what you fold sometimes helps as much as what you play, protecting that stack is primary. playing speculative hands or "favorite hands" are killer to a stack. just a few thoughts, but generally when i sit at any table i try and balance my play against the table, i don't change anything about my game, just because its cash mtt sng.
the older i get, the better i was
Displaying #1-15 of 19 total posts  1 2  Next Last

header

[close]