How would you play this..........

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-15 of 37 total posts  1 2 3  Next Last
21879 Nibs: 1,786
Posted on Oct 18th 2006  -  Subject: How would you play this..........
Playing J J really early to middle position. I can't seem to find a sweet spot to play this situation well. If I raise 4-5 times the bb I will get called or re raised with AA AK or the dreaded 7 2 by the guy that is a nut. If I limp and call a small raise A X (crap, rag ) busts me out with a full boat. If I all in pre flop the nut with 7 2 earlier cracks me with quad 22's. All in all its a really uncomfortable hand to play
www.epicwavecommunications.com
65406 Nibs: 663
Posted on Oct 19th 2006
Well personally... i would throw in a decent raise... (depending on the size of the table) 3-5 id prolly put out maybe 3x the blinds, and if any bigger... maybe 5-6x the blinds. The standard way to play if say you have 2 callers in a 10 handed table... if the flop is undercards... 90% of the time your going to have the better hand, unless someone is slow rolling over pockets which is usually unlikely. IF for some reason an idiot calls and catches two under pair thats not your fault and theres nothing you can do ... but in any case... if there is 1 overcard on the flop throw out a continuation bet to see where you at, and play the hand from there. The biggest problem with mid pockets (9-q) is people feel too confident and are inclined to hang on... if theres 1 overcard you have to be ready to lay them down... even KK if an ace flops usually isnt good.
Liquid
64400 Nibs: 218
Posted on Oct 19th 2006
Well personally... i would throw in a decent raise... (depending on the size of the table) 3-5 id prolly put out maybe 3x the blinds, and if any bigger... maybe 5-6x the blinds. The standard way to play if say you have 2 callers in a 10 handed table... if the flop is undercards... 90% of the time your going to have the better hand, unless someone is slow rolling over pockets which is usually unlikely. IF for some reason an idiot calls and catches two under pair thats not your fault and theres nothing you can do ... but in any case... if there is 1 overcard on the flop throw out a continuation bet to see where you at, and play the hand from there. The biggest problem with mid pockets (9-q) is people feel too confident and are inclined to hang on... if theres 1 overcard you have to be ready to lay them down... even KK if an ace flops usually isnt good. That pretty much says it all right there..the only other thing I do occassionally is limp with the middle pairs at a very loose table, if I'm gonna get beat with garbage I try to make it as cheap as possible (i know i know make them pay to suck out), but if I hit my set, the garbageman is gonna have a stinky day at the table, and if not well it didn't cost that much. But mostly raise and raise big to drive out as many as possible.
"Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died." -- Steven Wright
28508 Nibs: 1,161
Posted on Oct 19th 2006
I am normally playing them for set value untill i get to late position,so call or raise up to3xbb.
66364 Nibs: 1,193
Posted on Oct 20th 2006
io think its to call or raise 4 or more times
PiPeJJ
66822 Nibs: 2,004
Posted on Oct 20th 2006
I like to bet out with them, standard 3/4 BB See what the flop brings. The opening raise shuld get most people of the hand (apart from the idiots) If your ahead on the flop, a pot sized raise should see the oposition off. If you have over cards on the flop, place a feeler bet to see where you are. Take into account how the other players have ben playng (tight, loose, aggresive etc...) Good Luck Sam
Good Luck at the tables Sam Vice Captain UK Poker Team http://www.ukpokerteam.co.uk
52557 Nibs: 8,164
Posted on Oct 20th 2006
i usually lay JJs low don't seem that much of a hand to raise with to me...
there is noo spoOne..
66305 Nibs: 1,530
Posted on Oct 20th 2006
Hit them with an All-in, thanks
Its hard to tell if I,m Bluffing
12198 Nibs: 5,201
Posted on Oct 20th 2006
Well personally... i would throw in a decent raise... (depending on the size of the table) 3-5 id prolly put out maybe 3x the blinds, and if any bigger... maybe 5-6x the blinds. The standard way to play if say you have 2 callers in a 10 handed table... if the flop is undercards... 90% of the time your going to have the better hand, unless someone is slow rolling over pockets which is usually unlikely. IF for some reason an idiot calls and catches two under pair thats not your fault and theres nothing you can do ... but in any case... if there is 1 overcard on the flop throw out a continuation bet to see where you at, and play the hand from there. The biggest problem with mid pockets (9-q) is people feel too confident and are inclined to hang on... if theres 1 overcard you have to be ready to lay them down... even KK if an ace flops usually isnt good. Nothing to add here, very succinct Liquid man
________________________________________________________________ Sometimes the fluffy bunny of incredulity zooms round the bend so rapidly that the greyhound of language is left, agog, in the starting cage.
17067 Nibs: 4,016
Posted on Oct 23rd 2006
I think JJ is a very risky hand.....Be quite and try to understand others players hits..........
KICKING YOU OUT EVERY HAND
64621 Nibs: 3,436
Posted on Oct 23rd 2006
I play sneak with JJ if middle position.
SaPaGil
61974 Nibs: 2,732
Posted on Oct 23rd 2006
Fishhooks are never a friend of mine, maybe you should ask golden jacks, he seems to know how to play them. As for me I can't make a huge raise on PJ's reguardless of my position in a early game. Maybe later when there are less than 7 players at the table, but there are just too many possible callers with AQ, AK, KQ, and of course as you stated the lovely 7-2 guru. I Prefer also as mentiona bove to limp in and watch for overcards. Tough hand really, but everyone has their own style. Some would go all in preflop. Also depends on the tighness of the table.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- I hope to break even this week. I need the money.
62365 Nibs: 565
Posted on Oct 25th 2006
Well personally... i would throw in a decent raise... (depending on the size of the table) 3-5 id prolly put out maybe 3x the blinds, and if any bigger... maybe 5-6x the blinds. The standard way to play if say you have 2 callers in a 10 handed table... if the flop is undercards... 90% of the time your going to have the better hand, unless someone is slow rolling over pockets which is usually unlikely. IF for some reason an idiot calls and catches two under pair thats not your fault and theres nothing you can do ... but in any case... if there is 1 overcard on the flop throw out a continuation bet to see where you at, and play the hand from there. The biggest problem with mid pockets (9-q) is people feel too confident and are inclined to hang on... if theres 1 overcard you have to be ready to lay them down... even KK if an ace flops usually isnt good. That pretty much says it all right there..the only other thing I do occassionally is limp with the middle pairs at a very loose table, if I'm gonna get beat with garbage I try to make it as cheap as possible (i know i know make them pay to suck out), but if I hit my set, the garbageman is gonna have a stinky day at the table, and if not well it didn't cost that much. But mostly raise and raise big to drive out as many as possible. lol well said both of you without giving away too many trade secrets this is how i play when im not experimenting lol spot on yes lol spot on
Take It easy :))
61974 Nibs: 2,732
Posted on Oct 26th 2006
This same hand has been brought up a few times since my coming to PI. And I will only say that the fish hooks are an extremely difficult hand to play. The earlier in the tournament the harder. Obviously when you are short handed it is stronger, but it has more to do with the average chipstack to blind ratio
-------------------------------------------------------------------- I hope to break even this week. I need the money.
67626 Nibs: 616
Posted on Oct 26th 2006
i'd still raise with it regardless if i'm early or late, i'd just have to be wary of who calls and how the flop looks. if a tight player calls and there are kings or aces on the flop i might check-fold.
"sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky, a human being that was given to fly" - Pearl Jam
Displaying #1-15 of 37 total posts  1 2 3  Next Last

header

[close]