happened again!! not loose enough ?

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-7 of 7 total posts
66952 Nibs: 963
Posted on Feb 14th 2008  -  Subject: happened again!! not loose enough ?
SO there I am 65 players left in the 1.20 Pokerstars tourney (5pm CET) out of 2400 I see I have K9 in the cut off.... I have a medium stack around 16000, blinds are 400/800¬†UTG raises 3 x BB, middle position Reraises to around half my stack, it gets to me I have K 9 off suit, I fold.......¬†Flop comes down 3 K 9 rainbow, original raiser goes all in, is isnta called by reraiser...¬†Raiser had A J suited,¬† Reraiser had AQ off¬†Turn comes a 9River - blank¬†So I would have got the full house on the turnWas out within 3 hands after walking into AA with on the next hand with QJ and a Q on the flop. half my stack... 2 hands later I am out in 64th. This has happened before to me a few times, I have the feeling I am being to timid trying to make the final table, I know I need to loosen up, but with a raise and a reraise for half my stack would it be right to push with the K9 OS preflop ? or just call it off and hope for the best? Any advice From you guys? ¬†On a different note... I have now learnt not to play poker when I have just given up smoking (last week, I am now taking a small break till I feel normal and less techy, last night was awful) I made some terrible decisions and trash talked too many people, I annoyed even myself... lol
Bollox, runner runner again.....
11992 Nibs: 75,250
Posted on Feb 14th 2008
K9 off is not a hand that you want to be playing into a raise, even in the cutoff. Facing raise, reraise, you made the right decision to fold. Think about what would have happened if your opponent had AK and only the K flopped, leaving you with top pair, and a mediocre kicker. You would be donating your chips to the AK player, like you did with QJ.  If you want to play K9, you are looking for an opportunity to be the one doing the raising, and this would most likely only be from late position. If there is a small raise in front of you, you could try to 3 bet (raise them 3 x their bet) and take it down right there. The problem with K9 off is that short of flopping a K, you really aren't in a power position. You need a perfect flop for a straight, and even hitting the 9 leaves you open to a middle pocket pair like 10 10 or 9 9 dominating you. As for the QJ, it sounds like you played this hand from middle position, which once again is a poor play. Unless you have position with this sort of hand, you shouldn't be entering the pot, especially if someone else raised, which the AA guy most certainly did. If you were the raiser and the AA player smooth called, then you still should be wary about putting in to many chips when your Q hits. KQ, AQ have you dominated and you have to slow down a bit if someone calls you quickly on a flop when you have top pair, mediocre kicker.The K9 hand was unfortunate, it was just a good flop for a sub par hand. The QJ hand you probably could have and should have gotten away from. Remember, top pair is not always good enough and to survive in tournaments, you need to be able to make tough laydowns.  Play a little looser on the button if nobody has raised yet (and that means raising the pot yourself, not limping in), but tighten up in middle and early position espeically to raises. Just keep working on your game, you'll be making the money in no time.
It's easier to fish if you're the one casting the reel.
66952 Nibs: 963
Posted on Feb 15th 2008
Thanks for the, I kind of knew I shouldnt be calling, but the was doubt that I was being too timid in the late stages. The Qj, I was in late position, the BB raised all in.... he had a small stack about 1/3 mine and I stupidly called....¬† he had AA, and I was injuredAfter that a few silly hands and I was out, I think I should have waited a bit longer and dropped Qj when I think about it, silly, thinking he was short stacked and had a wide range I called it off and paid him off... stupid.¬†Thanks for the input though, don't feel quite so bad about folding it now.  Now to concentrate on my pokerstars 180 man tourney... last 17 now... Laters¬† 
Bollox, runner runner again.....
87301 Nibs: 500
Posted on Feb 16th 2008
sometimes is worthy to go all IN!!!
6805 Nibs: 4,552
Posted on Mar 22nd 2008
I think that you made the right decision with the K9 - how can you call after a raise and a reraise? The QJ I would also have folded as it was costing 1/3 of your stack and you were not desperate.
82952 Nibs: 2,802
Posted on Mar 22nd 2008
Why are you angry for folding that hand ? K 9 is foldeble in every position so whats the problem ? If you start thinking in every hand you fold and then hit the flop you shoulnt fold almost nothing ... lol¬† nice fold. 
OK OK I FOLD!!!
63432 Nibs: 15,550
Posted on Mar 22nd 2008
sometimes your better off not seeing what plays out with the cards watch the other players to see how they play thier hands  but dont second guess your decisions based on suck out flops and turns or rivers look at what you played and if you think it was the right desision based on over all play not what you could of gotten lucky with
sry bout dinner but i won 20 in the tourney
Displaying #1-7 of 7 total posts

header

[close]