Ever Missed Work From Playing?

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-15 of 20 total posts  1 2  Next Last
25501 Nibs: 5,893
Posted on Apr 29th 2008  -  Subject: Ever Missed Work From Playing?
OK now I no I have a problem(Dont realy care but aware LOL ) Started Playing a $5 Rebuy tourney last night at 9:00 pm  Played a Good Game (made NO Rebuys! ) , and Made The Final Table around Midnight. Was in 2nd place for a while  But ended up Comming in 7th at 12:45am ,won a cool $85 and was very happy with my overall play. Ok heres were the problem lies I work in the City and have to get uP for work around 3:30 am , After playing for 3hrs/45mins I tried to lay down and get a couple hrs sleep only to keep replaying the last few hands in my head and eventually crashing about 2 ish.  Well you guess it the alarm went off at 3:30 am but I didnt budge and woke around 7:00 am (I start work at 6:30 am) Not upset that I Missed a day at work  But I am dissapointed I didnt Get 1st Place in the Tourney. So You Tell me Has this ever happened to anyone else or Just Me? Gives new meaning to the phrase GO BIG or Stay Home LOL. On an Upnote I get to Play Poker All day. A Bad Day Of Poker is Always better Than A Good Day At Work !
CashInKKing
91457 Nibs: 563
Posted on Apr 30th 2008
Thats happened to me plenty of times, well not so much with 1 large tourny (that has happened once or twice though) but I used to work 3on3off on 12hour shifts (8am-8pm or 8pm-8am) I got home from work from a nightshift & decided to load up my poker (usually went sleep around 3pm up for 7pm to get ready) I ended up on SnG's until around about 5pm.. I remember switching off the pc & going bed..After about 25minutes I was up & at the SnG's again. My wife prodded my at 7pm to remind me about work & it was "Just 1 more tourny" until about 6am. I did however phone up my boss to tell him I wouldn't be in (at around 1am :S) He wasn't pleased but I was, I earnt more on poker that night than I would of at work lol Due to this though I left work in December and decided I would try out poker (low stakes at first to see if I continually turn a profit) I gave myself 8months to make something off it or i'd go back work. So far its going ok but sites like this would really help my situation.
Michael Clarke A Fish who found his pond.
Posted on Apr 30th 2008
See now I dont Feel like a Freak Thanks I did however make it in today  but I sure would like to lay down my working gear and take a shot like you ! Mortgage 1st ,Food 2nd, Bills 3rd, GAS(Yikes) 4th, and Poker 5th For Now thats Life
CashInKKing
Posted on May 5th 2008
man id like to quite my job and go proooooooo
CashInKKing
Posted on May 5th 2008
maybee tommorrow lol
CashInKKing
63432 Nibs: 15,550
Posted on May 5th 2008
hiappenned only once but wasnt sleeping was playing $3000 gauranteed and was doing well  was time to go to work said screw it im staying and playing phoned the boss says im sick (of work) and stayed in the game misse dfinal but got 12th played a few more that day and made more than i wouldda at work
sry bout dinner but i won 20 in the tourney
89956 Nibs: 3,151
Posted on May 5th 2008
i don't have a set shedule for work but find myself playing to 4 and 5  in the mornings ,fall asleep and end up late to work, Have a good boss,Usually try to be at work by 9:30 am Lve poker Big addiction
90961 Nibs: 2,418
Posted on May 6th 2008
hmm if i had a diff job, yes i wld stay home and go big lol..depense if it gives more than the dailey payment lol.. but im fulltime pokerplayer soo im always here hahahaha lol
BULLs, Wass BRL#20 Winners, February, 2008 * 7 x Wass BRL Champions *
Posted on May 6th 2008
HMMMMMMM Maybee your looking for a free loading unemployed boyfreind Rabbitgirl Im available LOL (Just Kidding) I do have a good paying Job and been at it a long time now and a few more years and I get to retire at 52 with a full pension so maybee then il pick up Poker full time  
CashInKKing
6805 Nibs: 4,552
Posted on May 7th 2008
Recently, I would not last long enouth for it to be a problem!! In the past I have been up all night playing a computer game, but I managed to stagger in to work - never again!
11992 Nibs: 75,250
Posted on May 8th 2008
Missing work or a similar commitment is exactly when you know you have a gambling problem. If you have commitments for the following day, why are you starting a tournament that would end well past the time that you need to get to bed to be productive the next day? It doesn't sound like any of your stories have resulted in detrimental effects (well done, lol) but seriously, it might be time to rethink you're playing time and start figuring out what your priorities are. We've all had killer sessions that go a little longer, but if you are a tourney player, there really is no excuse for playing past a set time. You should be experienced enough to know how long a tourney will take given the field and play the ones that will give you enough rest before work. Like I said, no one here sounds like they've ruined their lives, but this sort of topic is a tricky one and I've never been a fan of hearing people brag (that may not be the case, but still) about the times that they have allowed something like poker take the place of a real commitment. Once again, nice to know that nobody has had anything bad come of missing a day or two. I love poker, but some things in life are more important than beating AA with a slow played set :)
It's easier to fish if you're the one casting the reel.
13455 Nibs: 2,244
Posted on May 10th 2008
yeah it happens especially if you keep replaying the hands in your head. 
ADAMRULZ
91109 Nibs: 3,714
Posted on May 10th 2008  -  Subject: Noooo and Nooooo!!!
NOOOOO! It has never happen to me.... lol Thank God!!!  But!!! I am a distance student, and it means I can be home and study anytime I want. I have my own day and night hours. heh... In february I had to go to my practice to get some experience for my future work, and get some grades for my studies. I had to be there from 08.00 am to 03.00 pm. No problem.. it is fun!! I know now how easy it is to get stuck in a tourney.... hehe... For that moment I had a very good run in tournaments.. I did get in to money many times and also get some big money. The sad thing is all those nice and big tournies are always in the middle of night for us in Sweden! I was playing  somewhere else then. Because I had to be there, I coudn't really stay home. I solve the problem like this.. and this is crazy!!! First night I couldn't sleep even if I tried.. I was staying up all night.. When I get home I fell in to the bed and slept for some hours.. After my sleep I started my poker playing.... and left for my practic when the morning arrived. Well, with a family I could never do like that.. but now I don't have a family and because of that I can sleep anytime I want. This is not someting I suggest other people to do.. it is not healthy. lmao.... At night you shold sleep not be up and play poker. hehe... BUT, I didn't over slept.
2x LB3 winner, 1x LB1 winner, 2nd in Player --> The fish can too, if not win it can lose!
50711 Nibs: 2,015
Posted on May 25th 2008
lol me   i will need to work to keep playing lol :S
Rock on l'gros !!!
90201 Nibs: 721
Posted on May 25th 2008
no never..\   lol
Displaying #1-15 of 20 total posts  1 2  Next Last

header

[close]