coming back to the game

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-6 of 6 total posts
63432 Nibs: 15,550
Posted on May 10th 2008  -  Subject: coming back to the game
well i've been playing a few years now and got away from poker for about a year came back a few months ago and found i slipped back into some old bad habits (playing )  so was wondering if you  all ever went through this  i decided to play amalled buy ins and sit and gos for a while to work out the kinks seems to be the right choice
sry bout dinner but i won 20 in the tourney
11992 Nibs: 75,250
Posted on May 10th 2008
I took a month or so off after I hit a horrendously bad streak that had lasted for over 6 months. I wouldn't say I dropped back into bad habits, but it did take me a bit to remember the style that had worked for me in the past and how I could consistently win (mental side had been shot for me as well, lol). Took a bit of time for me to get use to playing and playing at lower limits (I had to drop down to stay within the bankroll guidelines I set for myself), but eventually I found my grove again. Keep plugging away at the small stakes until you feel confident in your game. The key to being successful at poker is to move up when you feel you're ready, but more importantly to drop back down if you feel like you are playing with little success. Too many players try to soak up big losses with erratic play and even higher limits, instead of staying at limits they are comfortable at. Move up when your game is sharp and there is no shame dropping back down for a bit if you feel a little sloppy. Welcome back and good luck :)
It's easier to fish if you're the one casting the reel.
92414 Nibs: 991
Posted on May 28th 2008  -  Subject: a break....
I had a break at one period bout two years back, only lasted six months. but i kept the girlfriend and my poker had really improved when i got back. must have been the determination to do better. not sure.
93011 Nibs: 3,062
Posted on Dec 9th 2009
I had a long brake also, but on nonplaying period I was reading books about poker and analayzing new strategies, at the moment I do play again, and the results are mush better than before
89238 Nibs: 3,367
Posted on Jan 18th 2010
i had a one year break, after i had a two week no cashing strike in mtt's and got beat down by a 3 against my a 9 with 3 on the river, that filled the glass and made me stop, not wanting to play for about a whole year, but then the virus got back, and i passed through my fair poker faze, i get grazy bad beats but don't stop playing, it's jsut poker and if bad luck is the reason i;m losing well ;)) that bad luck will end at one point cheers and play poker as much as you can, it teaches you something new everytime
93011 Nibs: 3,062
Posted on Jan 27th 2010
muguras thats an expencive teaching :)
Displaying #1-6 of 6 total posts

header

[close]