chasing open ended straights

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-8 of 8 total posts
92046 Nibs: 538
Posted on Mar 24th 2009  -  Subject: chasing open ended straights
here is situation, you call a raise with 7 8 off clubs from late position and u feel original raiser has atleast AK + or QQ+ and  u put one off the other callers on something like pocket Ts , and the flop brins 5 6 J rainbow,  its 3 in the flop and u gotta put half off your stack to see the turn , which basicly means u cant call u gotta go all in, if u hit a straight it prolly means double up or even triple up.. i often find my self tempted to chase a hand, i know i have 8 outs in the best case scenario, but its so sweet to bust queens or kings with 78 btw i do this in like 5-10$ sit and go tournaments
100779 Nibs: 2,364
Posted on Mar 24th 2009
First of all, it's very dangerous to play them in late position but could be tempted especially it they are suited. it depends of the amount of stack I have in order to... as the guy with QQ, KK etc... will usually bet big.
The real railbirds poker team
86977 Nibs: 30,852
Posted on Mar 24th 2009
You would need more than triple up when you win this hand to make this profitable play. You could also be against set. That pocket Ts could also be pocket Js. Then you would need to quadruple up. So good move for you would be to fold. If you like to gamble go for it .
92046 Nibs: 538
Posted on Mar 24th 2009
yea i know ur underdog in situations like this, and in 90% off time i fold to, but its kinda ugly when u fold and turn brings the nuts u could have held and u feel like why did i chicken out :) its the worst feelin poker player can have, hurts almost like a sick bad beat.Hell hurts even more sometimes  
86977 Nibs: 30,852
Posted on Mar 24th 2009
One thing I keep in mind is that I have made the right move. Even if quads come by the river, I dont care. You can't know when you will hit your draws so you need to play by odds most of the time. When you make a wrong call you lose money even if you hit one of your outs.
11992 Nibs: 75,250
Posted on Mar 27th 2009
First of all, it's very dangerous to play them in late position but could be tempted especially it they are suited. it depends of the amount of stack I have in order to... as the guy with QQ, KK etc... will usually bet big. It is not VERY dangerous to play suited connectors or connectors of any kind from late positin. In fact, into a raise and a few calls, this is the perfect spot to play them, You don't want to be sitting up front with them, because if you flop an 8 or 9, it is difficult to bet with a few people left to act. However, if you are in late position, and an 8 or 9 high board gets checked to you, then you can fire away. As for chasing an open ender, you need to be getting somewhere around 4.5 to 1 on your money to make it a profitable call in the long run. For example, if the pot is $80 and you are heads up, if he bets $20, you are getting the right odds to call. $20 + $80 = $100 and you have to call $20 ( or 1/5  ) to win $100. In this case, If there is $100 in the middle and some bets $50, you need 2 more callers at $50 each to make this a profitable play (you would be calling $50 to win $250......or 5 to 1). You can chase with 1 more caller, that will be 4 to 1 odds, which is still fairly close to the right pot odds to make a profitable call.
It's easier to fish if you're the one casting the reel.
84815 Nibs: 2,249
Posted on Dec 16th 2009
dangerous
supp
89238 Nibs: 3,367
Posted on Dec 16th 2009
it depends alot on your stack, do you really need thath tripple up or you want to wait for a better spot, , your read could be wrong, you could find an unlucky trips that lower your chances , it's not about the amount you are playing for, is about the benefits you get if you hit that card, in a cash game without the flush draw also , there is no reason in calling ever, except you are pot commited preflop, and that means you should stop playing poker :)
Displaying #1-8 of 8 total posts

header

[close]