88 in the BB

Rate this Topic

Displaying #1-15 of 15 total posts
42804 Nibs: 7,714
Posted on Mar 7th 2008  -  Subject: 88 in the BB
Here's a question for you. I want to know whether I did right by folding or should have pushed all in.Blinds are 1k I got 12k in the BB with 88. 79 people left and 30 get paid. Person raises to 4k half way round the table. His stack is 10k. Everyone folds to me. Now I figure. he has 2 over cards or a higher pair so fold. Did I do right or should I have called leaving me 9k and short stacked hoping for a low flop and all in or jusat pushed all in anyway.What's your views? 
Time To Play The Game
11992 Nibs: 75,250
Posted on Mar 7th 2008
If you think he has an overpair, than fold, if you think he has two big cards, push all in.Most players when they are short stacked and hit 2 big cards at that stage in a tourney are simply going to push all in and hope to steal the blinds or get up against 2 smaller unpaired cards. My thoughts are that he has a monster and wants action, since he's only leaving himself 6K to back up his hand. Just think, if he raises to 4K and gets one caller, and both blinds fold, there will be 11K in the pot, and he will be betting his last 6K into it, which certainly is not enough to get most players off of a draw, or off to over cards. He may be doing this because he has a weak pair and would like to try and steal the blinds, but have chips left if he gets reraised, or he may have a very strong hand and not care how much he has left to push with, because its all going into the middle on the flop anyway.My feeling is that you're either pushing here, or folding. You can't call, because if he only has 2 over cards and the board brings anything higher than an 8 you are going to have to fold to his bet. Push or fold. You make the decision based on how he has played hands previously and what the feel of the table is.
It's easier to fish if you're the one casting the reel.
87528 Nibs: 786
Posted on Mar 7th 2008
I think that the call option is not an option.I would either fold or push all-in.By betting 4k on an initial 10k stack, your opponent says he has something.I'll probably let that hand go, because either he has an overpair, either he has big cards, so, it's playing the coin flip, and I think this is not a great play, as you are not desperate enough to push in all your chips with any 2 cards.Also, it depends on some other factors: did you see him bluff already / did he went in a lot of pots already / have you seen him make such raises before, and if Yes, then did the hand went until the showdown, providing you some crucial information?Many things to think about before folding or pushing all your chips in.But definitely don't call, as you'll be pot commited by calling, so it's better to push all your chips in, as you get a chance to make him fold.
42804 Nibs: 7,714
Posted on Mar 8th 2008
Well I let the hand go and ended up finishing 8th. My JJ got beat by A 10 offsuit when he hit 4 clubs to give him the flush. So Whether it was right or wrong. I'm glad I folded
Time To Play The Game
87760 Nibs: 18,258
Posted on Mar 12th 2008
I think you have only 2 alternatives - fold and all-in.I think alternatives near equal, because you have very little chances to he fold after your all-in ,becvuase now 40% of his stack in bank. If he raise 2K, all-in is beeter than fold, because¬† you have 4 good cases: 1. He fold2. You are now¬† litle fovorite (he have 2 overcards)3. He have better pair than you, but you catch 8. 4. You are now big favorite ( he bluffs of had little pair, or just Ax)¬†If probability of cases 30-30-30-10%, your chances to win approximately 1*0.3+0.55*0.3+0.2*0.3+0.7*0.1 ~~ 0.6 (60%).Last good news - if¬† we lose this hand, we isn't out of tournaments instantly, with¬† our last 2K 
87528 Nibs: 786
Posted on Mar 12th 2008
I think you have only 2 alternatives - fold and all-in.I think alternatives near equal, because you have very little chances to he fold after your all-in ,becvuase now 40% of his stack in bank. If he raise 2K, all-in is beeter than fold, because you have 4 good cases: 1. He fold2. You are now litle fovorite (he have 2 overcards)3. He have better pair than you, but you catch 8. 4. You are now big favorite ( he bluffs of had little pair, or just Ax) If probability of cases 30-30-30-10%, your chances to win approximately 1*0.3+0.55*0.3+0.2*0.3+0.7*0.1 ~~ 0.6 (60%).Last good news - if we lose this hand, we isn't out of tournaments instantly, with our last 2K I guess on online play, time may be lacking for such calculation.In my case, I would have folded or going all-in, regarding of the eventual showdowns that I could see from that opponent, when he raised earlier.But I also agree with you that calling is not an option, and either folding or going allin seems to be the only acceptable plays
84820 Nibs: 803
Posted on Mar 19th 2008
It ALL depends!
All-In all the time Baby!
87110 Nibs: 1,158
Posted on Mar 19th 2008
no it does not, push
6805 Nibs: 4,552
Posted on Mar 21st 2008
I am with the majority on this one -  it is a fold or push and I would have folded.
80883 Nibs: 1,002
Posted on Apr 16th 2008
I agree to most of you here; calling is not an option, i think 88 can easaly bedominated by a higer pair and you i'ts a coinflip against two overcarts ( also agains qj q10 and othercart to make a (semi) bluf). I would have folded at this stage of the tournament.  
90893 Nibs: 512
Posted on Apr 16th 2008  -  Subject: allin or fold
i agree with the masses here, its all in or fold more likely the fold for me at that stage, unless i feel lucky ))
Team Brighter Britain - Its all about the winning!!
78654 Nibs: 1,722
Posted on Apr 16th 2008
Even If he had two over-cards, it would'nt be smart to go all-in or evel call his bet. You can be either overdog or its a coinflip
A.L.
83703 Nibs: 1,051
Posted on Apr 30th 2008
I agree with most. You sure don't wanna call. But the action depends on the player. If you are lucky you are with him on a table a little longer. If not, I would fold this hand and wait for a better opportunity to get his chips. Patients and well timed agression are the key words to play poker!
I don't want to get in the money, I want to win the tournament!
89683 Nibs: 1,118
Posted on May 19th 2008
Here's a question for you. I want to know whether I did right by folding or should have pushed all in.Blinds are 1k I got 12k in the BB with 88. 79 people left and 30 get paid. Person raises to 4k half way round the table. His stack is 10k. Everyone folds to me. Now I figure. he has 2 over cards or a higher pair so fold. Did I do right or should I have called leaving me 9k and short stacked hoping for a low flop and all in or jusat pushed all in anyway.What's your views? he doen't move all-in, it doen't seem to steal the blinds so he probably has a big pair .... so you must fold If you think he has  2 over cards you could call and even more... (it's fifty-fifty). Finally, fold it's a good choice
Ellaschess
89238 Nibs: 3,367
Posted on Dec 24th 2009
great fold, it was fold or shuv in more than 20% of the times you are behind, if not it\s a coinflip, you could wait for a better spot but remember, 88 is better than a k :) at least preflop :)
Displaying #1-15 of 15 total posts

header

[close]